The essence of The Dallas Principles is simple: Full LGBT legal equality now. No delay. No excuses. Check here how to take action using Act On Principles.
WHAT ARE THE DALLAS PRINCIPLES. HOW THEY WERE CREATED.
The Dallas Principles include a preamble, eight principles, goals, and a call to action. Here are the principles:
- Full civil rights for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals must be enacted now. Delay and excuses are no longer acceptable.
- We will not leave any part of our community behind.
- Separate is never equal.
- Religious beliefs are not a basis upon which to affirm or deny civil rights.
- The establishment and guardianship of full civil rights is a non-partisan issue.
- Individual involvement and grassroots action are paramount to success and must
- Success is measured by the civil rights we all achieve, not by words, access or
- Those who seek our support are expected to commit to these principles.
The Dallas Principles were drafted on May 15-17, 2009 in Dallas by a group of 24 thinkers, activists, and donors. The Dallas meeting was the brainchild and was organized by Juan and Ken Ahonen-Jover, the founders of eQualityGiving.
Check a couple of the videos we produced:
ACT FOR FULL EQUALITY NOW
The essence of The Dallas Principles is very simple: Full LGBT legal equality now. No delays. No excuses.
As a follow up of The Dallas Principles, we created Act On Principles, providing three free tools for individuals and organizations to accelerate achieving full legal equality:
- PUBLIC WHIP COUNT: A wiki-like tool which allows individuals to record the position of their representatives on our legislation. This is a breakthrough on how to lobby for our rights.
- HUB OF ACTIONS: Lists specific actions to take now for full equality now. Now organizations and individuals can create actions for others to take.
- OPEN BLOG: Provides a venue to discuss strategy for full equality. Now any registered user can blog about strategy and have all of his/her posts referenced on his/her personal page.
To start taking action now, join Act On Principles.
The Dallas Principles and Act On Principles are all about empowerment of individuals to motivate and inspire others who really want to achieve full legal equality now. So, when anybody gives you reasons for delays of our equality just ask Why Not Now? and remind them of the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. quote: "A right delayed is a right denied."
HOW IT ALL FITS TOGETHER
eQualityGiving's strategy has five components:
- Explaining in plain English what we want to accomplish in terms of legal equality. This is done through the Equality Goals.
- Presenting in legal terms what we want. This is the Omnibus Equality Bill.
- Measuring the progress in legal equality. This is the Federal Equality Index and the States Scorecard.
- Empowering individuals to ask for full legal equality now. This is The Dallas Principles.
- Providing the tools (for free) for individuals and organizations to accelerate achieving full LGBT legal equality. These tools are Act On Principles.
There has been lots of coverage of The Dallas Principles in the press as well as in blogs. Here we highlight some of the initial coverage in main stream publications.
Home >> The Dallas Principles and Act On Principles (top)